Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Happiness is...

Knowing your friends are looking out for you.

My story: I used to be a pretty good songwriter. I was among an elite group (if you could call us that) chosen to go to special festivals and study with some top songwriters from across the country, and I was chosen to be a part of this group two years in a row. That was 6 and 7 years ago now, respectively.

This is where the story gets sad. About 5 years ago, I developed writers block. I haven't really written a song since that time, and I hardly even play my instrument anymore. Oh, I have other creative outlets, but the one I used to enjoy so much and do so well... All dried up.

But, like I said in the title; happiness is knowing that your friends are looking out for you, and apparently mine are. A good friend of mine who is also a songwriter and a musician that I respect very much has given me an assignment: Starting tonight, write one song every night. It doesn't have to be a good song, and nobody ever has to hear it, but I have to discipline myself to the practice of writing again.

So thanks, man. I'm gonna do it, and will probably end up tracking some form of my progress on this Blog. I'm hoping this exercise will light the spark that has been cold for so long, but if nothing else, it (like this Blog) will sharpen my skills as a writer.

Wish me Luck ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home