Sunday, August 21, 2005

Time for bed

I have to get up at 6 am to go to school... Yawn.

One thing I am learning: a great deal about myself. For example, I am terrible at working in a group. Give me an assignment and a corner by myself to do it in, and I'm happy. Tell me to wait while the group decides what we are doing next, and I start to freak out.

Don't get me wrong, it's not an in-your-face yelling and screaming freak out, it's just a bundle of stress, can't communicate or play nice with other children freak out.

But we live in the real world, and in the real world you have to work with other people (go figure) Furthermore, those of us that actually work well with other people will find it much easier to achieve their own goals - even if the going seems less efficient to begin with.

An example of this: my group work involved a collaborative writing project. I'm thinking "Geez Louise, how are we EVER going to produce anything, and if by some MIRACLE we get something done, how will it possibly be of any quality?" Well, the writing process was more painful than usual, and took longer than usual, but something interesting happened. When we were done, the report was really well written. Now, I know it's better than I could of done on my own, and I'd hazard a guess that it is also better than most of my group mates could have done on their own. Not that any of us are poor writers, it's just that six heads turned out to be better than one.

And I found out something else about myself. As long as I keep busy, I don't feel as stressed out in these situations (I guess I feel more in control) so, the moral of the story is: The only thing you can change is yourself. The only person you have any control over is yourself. And the only person that has the power to make you happy or miserable.....?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home