Monday, August 08, 2005

Shameless Self Promotion

So along with making real world networking contacts, and working for free to get your product out there. If your product is, say: a random short film, can you blog it's way out of obscurity?

Hugh seems to think so. So does David. I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.

So far my forays into blogging about my production company have been less than successful, however. My new site seems to only be visited by people directly involved with the above film project, not new exciting people who have never before heard of ratball productions. One of the problems is, when I shamelessly self-promote my new blog on this one, I feel like a used car salesman, or worse, like I'm begging for an audience (please see what I'm up to... oh please.) Also, my audience for Renaissance Girl, is likely a very different audience than the one I'm courting for a comedy about Dracula, Frankenstein and the Mummy (Chris Bailey, I know you're out there and YOU are going to love this movie - it is heavily influenced by South Park) Other than that though - Renaissance Girl readers generally like to talk business - and that is one reason why I've kept the two blogs seperate.

But wait - isn't making a movie a business as well? I mean, if you don't structure it right you rin out of money, and then you don't finish your movie. Also, with a team of hardworking people by your side, the producer/director of an independant film effectively becomes the owner/manager of a small business (or in our case, a not for profit.) This is totally relevant.

And it is important to note that the new blog has not been around for very long. You can't expect to build a loyal following in 20 posts or less. The important point is not to get discouraged. If you stop the movie blog now, there is no chance for it to get going.

And honestly, I don't know what kind of movies my readers enjoy. Maybe Rosa really likes comedies about Dracula. Maybe Dwayne Melancon has always been interested in independant short film. And perhaps Scott Hodge has always wanted to see a menagerie of people in funny costumes caught on film. I guess I just don't know

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott Hodge said...

You hit the nail right on the head! :)

9:21 PM  
Blogger jhodson said...

I KNEW it - ok - you are totally getting a copy of this wierd film then!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can't wait. Say, how about the Wolfman? Will the Wolfman be in it? And how about cross-dressing? Will there be cross-dressing in it? Maybe some Christmas poo?

Okay, now it's just getting silly. Seriously, though. If I could get up there, could I be an extra?

5:34 PM  
Blogger jhodson said...

Chris, if you could make it here in time for our next movie - we'd write you a part - with lines!

The wolfman makes a cameo in part one (of two) Part two has no wolfman, but does have some other "monstas" I think you'll like (based on your 100 things I now know about you) No poo, but maybe next time :P

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home