Friday, August 12, 2005

Study hard... and get ready to get up early.

So after a brief film-making interlude, I am back to hitting the books hard this week. I start school (Bachelor or Arts in Applied Communication) on Monday. I am nervous about my Computer Mediated communication class because although the subject matter is fascinating, the course itself involves (gasp!) case studies, and group problem solving. No taking a break and reading quietly to oneself there.

I'm not always a huge fan of group work (except in film... funny that) Most of the time I remain one of those people who figures that I will get the job done better and more efficiently if left to my own devices. I think that is why this course is going to be especially challenging (and especially good) for me. Real world working situations involve group work. If I am ever going to become a good manager, or run my own business or if I am to ever become the filmmaker I want to be, I need to know how to effectively communicate as part of a group of people. I may also want to learn how to write fewer run-on sentences :).

Still, just because you understand that something is good for you does not make that something any easier.

Speaking of which, time to stop procrastinating and go study.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that you will excel at the group work Jay. You did an amazing job keeping your head on the movie. The power going out showed how you guys were able to survive under the pressure. The group work in School will be even easier for you because there are no masks, costumes, or latex. Hmm...actually that would be a school worth attending...

4:41 PM  
Blogger jhodson said...

thank you :)

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home