Friday, May 27, 2005

What I am Doing this Weekend...

C'mon.... I just know you were wondering.

I work until 5:00 this evening, then after 5:00 I get changed really quickly into comfy clothes (I have an office job, so I usually wear business dress) and I run to yoga class where I meet Nigel. This Yoga class is called "restorative yoga" and feels like an hour and a half of heaven. The class is very meditative, and helps me focus on living in the moment....bliss!

Then, I am going to make my way home, maybe pick up some groceries on the way (I need bread, and eggs) eat dinner and work on scholarship applications.

Some of you may already know, that I am going back to school Aug 15. Here I am, 26 years old, with a good career job and enough savings for a down payment on my own home, and I am spending all the savings and leaving the "sure thing" that I have built for myself within my career in order to finish my Bachelors degree. I will be studying Applied Communications - which is directly related to business as it is a study of media, marketing, and all the ways people communicate. I think it is important that we learn how to deal with all the images that we are bombarded with in society. Think about it: From the moment we wake up in the morning until we shut our eyes at night, we are being marketed to, and not all marketing is benign. As an example, I will list all the images I see within the first 15 mins of waking up: Advertising on the toothpaste tube, on my cereal box, on the milk carton, on the coffee package, communications in the daily newspaper, sometimes the radio, the covers and spines of books and dvds on my bookshelf as I walk by on the way to the door. These all without leaving the house. So I am looking forward to learning how to navigate this "message jungle" and I look forward to sharing my findings with you.

Anyway, in order to facilitate my return to studies (tuition is very expensive) I will be completing scholarship applications this weekend. Some require answering a questionnaire. Most require that I write an essay. The upside of this is it will help me sharpen my communication skills before going to school. After writing 10 essays in a row, I will not have to worry about whether I am up to task as far as school assignments are concerned. If the scholarships don't work out for me (there actually aren't many out there for more "mature" learners - ie. not straight out of high school) I will apply for student loans. It will be scary, but hey, I'm already a little nervous making such a big change.

---------------------------------------------------

Other than Yoga and scholarship applications, I am having a visit from an out of town friend Saturday evening. I look forward to doing some catching up, and leaving the house for the evening for a night out. After all, all work and no play makes Jay grumpy :) and dull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home