Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Movie Review

Ah Yes, It's movie review time, Boys and Girls. So without further adieu (and I'm sure Nigel can add two cents to this later) I bring you:

Renaissance Girl - MY MOVIE REVIEW (for those who wanted to know my opinion... If you don't then I'm not sure why you're still reading)

You may ask:
"What Movie did you see this week, Jay?"

To which I answer:
"What Movie did EVERYBODY see this week?"

And the answer is (cue John Williams music here) Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Incidentally, it's an interesting piece of trivia that Star Wars episode VI was originally entitled Revenge of the Jedi. Later, George Lucas changed it to Return of the Jedi, which I think was a good choice. The Sith are evil dark side of the force people - hence REVENGE Jedi though, are supposed to be all about restraint - so no revenge there, but I digress...
Anyway, so I went on the weekend to see this movie, and I must admit that I did not have very high hopes. Being a bit of a movie buff, I had always appreciated the technological advances in George Lucas' films, but like everybody else on the planet I was left wishing for better dialogue and more passionate performances. In fact, I think the only reason I decided to go to this final installment in the Star Wars trilogy of six (heh heh) was a lingering nostalgia for the three original films of my childhood. I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, there are bits of bad dialogue, and precarious directing choices. Overall though, this film is superior to episodes I and II, and fills out the story very well. I can almost believe that George Lucas did indeed have a cohesive vision of the series, because after watching episode III, episodes I and II became more watchable (and I'm not the only one who thinks so. James Bregman at the BBC agrees. Ian Mcdermid is excellent as Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine. Hayden Christiansen is surprisingly good as Anakin Skyalker getting his evil mojo on. Even Ewan Macgregor, who many people felt was a disappointment in the first two films, seems to have gained a renewed passion and energy for the role of Obi Wan Kenobi.

So there - for all the other nerds out there is my opinion on a movie I saw this weekend.
The force is with Episode III.....or something :)

Ooh for extra fun - or for the really Nerdy, check out Darth Vaders Blog (if you haven't already... But we know you secretly have..... C'mon, nourish your inner geek!)

1 Comments:

Blogger nigel said...

I concur with your review and also highly recommend Darth Vader's blog...

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home