Friday, May 06, 2005

Lack of Focus

Yesterday I received a new project at work and, even though overwhelmed, I felt a little hopeful that this would be an exercise to spark a real surge of productivity, especially in my more involved, mainstay project...not to mention adding a much need jolt of energy to my normal work day.

And then I went home and checked my personal email.

There was a message from someone I was once involved with and who I had thought would just fade away (great distances involved). And now I am thinking about the last time we saw each other and fantasizing about future possibilities.

Today's life project: research ways to stay in the present. Step 1 = perspective; step 2 = a Friday session of Hatha yoga.

If anyone has more, tangible steps for me to take I would appreciate hearing from you...I have checked out Christopher Bailey's post today which reminds his readers of one of his archived post titled, "Wandering and Getting Unstuck."

When I finished speaking I distributed a handout with some quick ideas for getting "unstuck" which I think are useful for anyone feeling this way. They're loosely based on ideas from the book Unstuck by Keith Yamashita and Sandra Spataro.

Idea #1: Clarify your Purpose
Before you get to the doing, figure out what drives you. Ask yourself: Why do you exist? What must you contribute in order to achieve not only success but significance? Make the task of defining your purpose an act that rejuvenates you. And remember to keep it brief: brevity creates even greater clarity.

Idea #2: Create YOUR Headline from the Future
Stories are powerful tools for generating energy and excitement. Create a newspaper headline from a future date. What will it say about all you have achieved? Now think: step by step, how will you get there?

Idea #3: Create a Haven for Free Thinking
Your environment holds great power over the way you think. If you’re stuck, find a place that’s new and claim it as your haven for free thinking. This could be a local park, a museum, a coffee shop. It should be a place that reignites your thoughts and imagination.

Kathy Sierra from Headrush wrote something the other day that really inspires me to appreciate what I have to offer in my work world and the "real" world in general:

According to James Surowiecki's The Wisdom of Crowds, that lack of diversity can hurt both innovation and decision-making. Sometimes with terrible consequences.

But he contends that it's not necessarily the lack of demographic diversity that's at the heart of the problems... it's cognitive diversity you need. If those doing the hiring are going after only world-class, exceptionally bright people with similar skills, the differences between the Chosen Ones may not be that useful. He claims the company needs to hire not just only the smartest people!

So, it is ok that I am an emotional flake? I may come up with some amazing, original, mind-blowing contribution anyway...because I am an emotional flake?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home