Monday, April 25, 2005

The Art of "Hanging In There"

Almost every day I get out of bed, get dressed, eat breakfast, and commute to work. When I get to work I open the door, and almost every day I "hit the wall."

Mondays are the worst. Mondays when the weather is beautiful outside are almost unbearable.

I think to myself "I can't do this" (work) "going through the motions one more time takes more strength than I have" "I just can't push myself to pick up the phone, fill out paperwork, talk to people etc. etc." I feel numb, and I procrastinate, waiting for the day to be over while at the same time being filled with dread that the day WILL end and I will not have done anything, and thus be a bad or lazy person.

Somehow though, in the midst of the numbness and dread and negativity I find ways to pick up the phone, fill out the paperwork, and complete the myriad of activities that make up my working life. At the end of the day I start to feel a little better.

And I think about people that run Marathons, and the old adage of putting "one foot in front of the other." When you think you can't run any further, focus on your steps - run six more. It's amazing how far that'll get you.

It's not that I'm advocating hanging in there when you feel like something is totally not right for you, but sometimes I think we are forced by circumstance to make the best of things, and there is some satisfaction in knowing that you are strong enough to carry on - even in circumstances that are less than ideal for you.

So I have to hang in there. A little while. So every morning I will put one foot in front of the other until I cross the finished line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home