Friday, July 15, 2005

Change (and Friday's take on the news)

Yesterday I ate what will probably be my last sushi lunch with Jay...it is hard to imagine what life will be like working downtown knowing that I no longer have Jay two blocks over to meet me for a spicy tuna roll or coffee, when we are more interested in talking than eating. I suppose I will now find myself not using my incessant emails to Jay as a procrastination technique and I hope to see my work results become more focused (as well as my time with Jay become more than brief catch up sessions). So here's to change: painful but necessary for our evolution as individuals and friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In local news: do not forget if you are in Victoria, British Columbia tomorrow:

18th Annual Moss Street Paint-In
Saturday, July 16, 2005
Paint-In: 12:30 noon - 4:30 pm
Food & Beverage Garden: noon- 9 pm
Dancing to Kumbia: 4 - 9 pm

The Art Gallery of Greater Victoria's Annual Moss Street Paint-In (a not-for-profit event) features invited professional and emerging artists from Victoria and Region who demonstrate their art to 30,000 visitors walking Moss Street from Fort to Dallas Road. The Paint-In offers visitors an opportunity to meet and discuss the artists' work and methods and to see an enormous variety of professional work at one time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In national news: Canadian cattle are making the trip South again and I can't wait to read what Jape at American North has to say about it...

The border has been shut to most Canadian cattle since May 2003 when a single case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or mad cow disease was discovered...Cattle rancher John Capithorne says the decision makes the world seem a little brighter.

"The grass is growing, the flowers are blooming and all of a sudden we got some potential to move some cattle outside of our boundaries," he said.

"It puts a little strut in your stride and a grin on your face and it's easier to go to the coffee shop in the morning."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And in world news: because I am still reading everything I can about the London bombings and find it harder and harder to find more than just the sound bites offered by local media outlets...

An Egyptian chemistry expert sought by police over the London bombings has been arrested in Cairo, Egypt.

Magdi Mahmoud al-Nashar, 33, had not been seen by colleagues at Leeds University since early July.

British police are searching a house in Leeds linked to Mr al-Nashar, but have not formally named him as a suspect in their investigation.

Mr al-Nashar has denied having any role in the bombings and was on holiday, Egypt's Interior Ministry said...Met Police commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there was nothing connecting the man to the plot, but added that investigators expected to find evidence linking al-Qaeda to the attacks.

I have great concern that the "authorities" have a suspect profile list (bombers - check, chemist - check, strategist - ?) and are fitting individuals to it...but again I feel woefully under informed and have little evidence to back up my fears that some of these men may be victims of a witch hunt. It all just seems very convenient...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home