Friday, September 07, 2007

The Blank Page

Nothing is quite so intimidating as the blank page (or in this case, the blank screen).
As I stare at my blog, or my paper, willing the words to appear. I type one line, then erase it and start again. Type two lines, erase at least one. Any writer knows the pain of birthing a written work, like when it takes you three hours to write on paragraph that you later edit out because it didn't fit anyway.

But somehow, miraculously, I always end up with something as long as I keep on writing. It may not be the best most genius written work that I or the world has ever seen, but it's far better than the blank page.

And as long as I keep writing, I know that slowly I'm getting better at it. Perfection is the enemy of done. If I try to do everything (including writing) perfectly then I will be paralyzed into never doing anything. So just keep going, despite the awkward sentences, the dearth of ideas, or the three hour paragraph. And maybe by doing so I can finally make peace with the blank page and the promises it offers.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Christian said...

I totally know what you are saying.. that is why i take the minimalistic say very little approach.. :)

8:31 AM  
Blogger jhodson said...

Actually, the say very little approach can be a really good strategy. Leaves your readers wanting (and coming back for) more

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home