Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Tips on Aging Gracefully..

Found the link on boingboing... takes you here. Where Milton Glaser (designer extraordinaire) tells us "10 things I have learned"

I like number 2: If you have a choice, never have a job... Ooh, yes please, where do I sign up?

I think this links in to both of Nigel'It s last posts (though I'm still trying to get my head aroung the sex thing- please, tell me more) and also my posts about being anything you want to be and moving from the known to the unknown.

The example in Miltons article talks about getting up every morning with the question "how do I put food on the table" and then your life becomes your job becomes your life. I think this particular question/way of thinking strikes a chord with many creative people and artists out there. It's so simple. Yet, somehow not simple at all.

What it does, however, is shift your own focus - from working for "The Company" or working for money - to working for yourself. You do what you have to do to put food on the table, then suddenly discover maybe you don't need a $400.00 purse or a $500.00 pair of shoes because your time is more important than that and you cannot be bought out. Suddenly you are living life for yourself and feeling more fulfilled all the time. At least that's the idea of it all.

Simple, yet very difficult.

So maybe read the article, and if you feel like it, add your comments below. I would be interested in hearing other thoughts on that piece :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though i haven't read the article, I certainly like the idea. Tough when in school perhaps, but then I'm broke anyway and can't spend $500 on shoes anyway.

8:31 AM  
Blogger jhodson said...

I don't think it's about HAVING the money to spend and then CHOOSING not to spend it - that's an entirly different ideological kettle of fish there. What it's getting at is - your time and your principals are not worth selling out for - so you may choose a life where you cannot afford the expensive consumerism - but deep down you are striving to be more fulfilled every day, with those little things that money cannot buy - at least, that's what I got out of it :)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home