Thursday, February 03, 2005

Sucked in again

Watching tv last night, after promising myself to spend my time in more creative endeavours, and an unusual documentary came on under the auspices of Fashion Television. I usually don't like to watch anything to do with fashion, celebrities, etc. as it is akin to picking up a copy of a magazine whose primary purpose is to convince me that I have been extremely lax with my beauty regime and/or mating skills...that said, the documentary was delightful and I was glued for the whole hour of "Flipping Uncle Kimono." Basically, the crew followed John Malkovitch around for three days as he prepped for a rough showing of his Uncle Kimono clothing line described as "Italian communist" (one of the sweaters was called"fucking commie sweater"). I didn't know previous to this that Malkovitch designed or was together enough in this pursuit to actually have a fashion company (Mrs. Mudd) working busily away in Milan (I think they said they had produced four lines already but this was the first to be shown). So here is this rather enigmatic man designing beautiful menswear, exuding an eye of the storm persona while his judo practictioner models and harried company president run around pulling together the show under Malkovitch's direction, all the while he is calmly discussing with the documentary filmmaker everything from his wife's ability to eat enough pasta at one sitting to feed four to Derrida's theories on deconstruction (poor bastard was talking a bit into the void on this last item). I even found myself serious taking in his thoughtful words on creative problem solving and seeing how I could apply them to my own work. Not to mention the laugh out loud moments...

In sum, I highly recommend catching this documentary if you ever get the chance and please keep me posted if anything in a similar vein pops up anywhere...

I am still turning his comments on western society (or did he say culture?) over in my mind...if this society is a house "the foundation would be guilt and the walls consumption"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home